Monday, April 18, 2011

Bees have it so good.


     Seriously, there is no other animal on earth that vomits anything half as delicious as honey. There's weasel-puke coffee, sure, but that's a misnomer. The animal's more of a lemur if I recall correctly. The coffee's pretty good too, but it's no honey. Could you imagine if your reward for a night of binge drinking or intense stomach sickness was honey?

      If you've never had mead, you owe it to yourself to try it. Honey wine is amazing, and a few companies are breaking out into the market on a large scale. Sky River was one of the first brands I'd gotten my hands on, though I haven't seen their product in the usual stores lately. They offer a sweet and a dry product, and I'll cover the sweet wine since that's the first bottle I grabbed off my trophy shelf.

Price: About $20.
Warm: A smooth honey flavoring with a small bite and a light fruity aftertaste, probably due to the yeast they used. Mulling the mead makes it taste incredible.
Chilled: The flavor thickens a bit when chilled, and the bite vanishes completely. Some of the honey flavor is downplayed a little as well, but it becomes one of those drinks you forget is alcoholic.
Rated: 9
     Overall, we were all very pleased with both Sky River meads. I'll be the first to say that I do not like wine at all, but the few meads I've tried have been fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment